Tuesday, July 07, 2009

AK27 Speaks

Chris Stevenson, the gentle Sun writer, was on Kovalev's conference call today about his signing in Ottawa. While I don't like the whole 'Reluctant' label as it makes it sound like he's settling for us, he goes on to say a lot of the right things. There is also an audio version of the interview (there's some dead air at hte start with an operator issue. 7 minute interview, just like 7 minute abs). Here are some highlights from Stevenson:

"The way I look at it, they have one really good line that's been successful year after year," said Kovalev. "I think I can be part of creating two or three good lines which is something every team needs to be successful in the playoffs. I'm not a big believer that one line can do the damage all the way to winning the Stanley Cup.

"Maybe I could be in the mix on the first line and maybe sometime in the second line. That way everybody will have enough energy to have a strong season and compete for the Stanley Cup."

Kovalev has said he's heard too often about his inconsistencies as a player.

"I don't know why people think that way all the time. I'll always compete the way I can," he said. "Sometimes you have to be aggressive, sometimes you have to be more relaxed. It depends on the situation. There's a feeling about me I only play when I want to play. I always compete the way I can."

"Sometimes I try to do too much because I feel like I can change the game ... sometimes it works in a good way, sometimes it works in a bad way."

No comments: