UPDATE: According to the Ottawa Sun, Dany Heatley is expected to hold a press conference via phone on Friday.
The list of people that have heard from Heatley this summer just grew longer by one. Bob Nicholson weighed in today and said that he's spoken with Heatley this summer and he, along with the execs at Hockey Canada are expecting Heatley to handle his business before showing up in Calgary on Monday for the Team Canada Orientation Camp. So there you have it - in the next five days, Dany Heatley will allegedly have to speak to reporters. That being said, expect the Patrick Kane job of 'I can't talk about it' followed by a 'only questions about Canada Hockey from this point forward'.
In other news, Bryan Murray shared his voice with Leafs Lunch (the same Leafs Lunch that accused the Sens of being coke addicts). Catch the podcast here, Murray is in the first few minutes (after the first break) and will probably only take up 10 minutes of your time.
Here are the highlights, including bold around the one piece that you probably care about the most.
- rookie camp coming up in Kitchener, expecting big things of Karlsson, Regin, and Zach Smith. Said Cowen is training in Ottawa and likely not ready for game action.
- Murray STRONGLY expects Karlsson to compete for a spot on the club, said he is tremendous and the only thing hurting him is his size. Seriously, given the tone on this, it truly sounds like Karlsson is expected by management to make the team.
- He added that they expect Lee to be a full-time defenceman and grow a lot, also named off the rest of the defenders but seemed to throw a bit more attention to Campoli and Lee and Kuba. "I think our defence is far better this year than last year".
- Kind words for Leclaire, said he's ready to go and is seen as a "considerable upgrade", though they're still very happy with Elliot.
- On cap space, he said he isn't sure where the team is (I hope he's kidding). Simply put, he says if we have Heatley, we're over the cap, if we don't have Heatley, we're fine. Not sure how that involves a trade and salary coming back, but Murray went on to say that we have some players on two-way contracts that we can send down in the short-term while he continues to look for a long-term solution. I'm not positive who is on a two-way contract, but I thought Lee was one, which kinda sucks. I still can't imagine he can solve the cap problems and keep Gator on the big team. LTIR?
- On the Heatley saga "No, we're not any closer to an end. I have continued to talk to a few teams about it lately...it has been going slow, dragging on all summer, disappointed that it has gone on so long. It will be resolved soon either through a trade in the next little bit of time, or we expect Dany at camp."- finally, Murray said fans are asking why a good player doesn't want to be in Ottawa, it has been difficult on ticket sales.
So what does it all mean? First off, the whole 'Murray has been quiet so that means something is going to happen this afternoon' idea is out. Murray has now spoken. That being said, he did admit that he is still actively talking to teams and hopes to get this resolved through a trade soon. I'm sorry to call out others on this, but it was plain as day in this interview that there was never a deadline last week for a trade to be made. From this interview, Murray clearly says he'll work on this right up until camp and if no resolution comes via trade, he'll deal with the cap issues in other ways. But nothing in mid-August for a deadline. Nothing. C'mon, people, there are no leaks in that organization right now. The only Sens trade news that is real comes straight from the mouth of the GM. Other sites are right in that if Dreger and McKenzie aren't printing it, it's because it isn't true.
Good news - Murray is still working actively with teams and his first priority is to make a trade prior to camp.
Bad news - Camp starts in three weeks.
Also, what are your thoughts on Murray's opinion that Karlsson is ready to compete for the big club? If he makes it, he'll be babysat like crazy, just seeing PP time and going against second lines that neither score nor hit. That's fine with me, work him in slow!
Silver Nuggets: Wake me up when September ends
4 hours ago